Sunday 25 August 2013

Sunday Confession - Natural Props

dried flowers and pine cones

I have a confession. I am addicted to collecting seed pods. It borders on the obsessive to the point where I can't walk past a front garden without scouting for potential loot and whenever I come back from a walk I leave a trail of black seeds in my wake.
In particular it is poppy seed pods. They are so fascinating. The variety of shapes are amazing. I was hooked from the day my dad showed me how to remove the 'hat' and pour out all the seeds.


And the colours. Purple, mauve, green, mint, terracotta, cream. Some are like little balls and some look like lanterns.
Of course I do have a use for them (if not for all 1000 of them). I electroform the best candidates - at least I will when I figure out how to make it safe with cats in the house.
And they make wonderful props for me jewellery shots. Having a few in shot not only looks nice, but also helps the camera find the right white balance - which means truer colours in my pictures.