Sunday 15 April 2012

New Copper Ring Designs


I find it quite hard to make rings, or rather, make rings that I like. Quite a lot of them feel far to chunky for me and if they're too intricate they might look gorgeous, but chances are they snag on clothing and such. I prefer my rings to be small and elegant, which I haven't quite managed to my satisfaction before.


Actually my main motivation to make rings lately have been to use one as a prop. You know how it is really difficult to gage the size of jewellery in those detailed close-ups? I've been searching for a prop that will go well in my shots and which gave shoppers a point of reference as to size. Coins and stamps can look neat in shot, but only Brits have a good sense of the size of a penny. So I thought a ring would be just right. While they vary a bit in size, I think they give a good reference.
I have made some sad attempts the last month, none of which I was happy with. They were hard to make and didn't look good in the end, but finally I had a breakthough.




I was playing around and arrived at the design above, which I am so pleased with. Might not be terribly original, but I think they look elegant and remind me of ferns unfurling.
The best part is that they can easily be varied so that each ring ends up being unique.






Now I can make rings to go with the earrings and I have the prop that I needed. Now to figure out how to place them in the shot without them stealing the attention :o)