Thursday 5 April 2012

Hook Sizes and Oxidising



Normal size ear hooks
I know, sounds boring right? But I've discovered that when I design tiny dangle earrings, I always imagine them hanging right under the earlobe, and then I make the hook compare and they’re miles lower than what I expected and wanted. Bigger hoops can be gorgeous of course, but I want to be able to choose.
I decided to try and take them right back, See how small I could make ‘fish hooks’ and still have them hold the earring securely.
Compared to the new small ones

The bronze coloured one is as small as I could possibly get to fit on my own ear. I was concerned they might be easier to unhook by mistake, but actually, since they fit so snugly they feel a lot more secure than large swinging hoops.

I don’t know if my lobes are average size – it’s just not the thing I have been noticing before (but now I will ;oD ) so I decided to make my next batch of hooks, just slightly bigger than the smallest that worked for me.

Here they are, ready for the oxidising process along with some of my new wire designs.

Bright copper before oxidising

I don’t use Liver of Sulfur but an alternative called Platinol. It works superfast and is much less smelly.
After dipping in Platinol
After a bit of steel wool cleaning, I let the pieces tumble for an hour. My partner has made me a tumbling machine out of wood and old printer parts He is so handy that way :o)
After polish