Sunday 29 January 2012

Cord Research


I really like the look of a braided cord. Especially when the length has a nice rhythm of beads and is then combined with various charms. I have been playing with how thin I could go and still be able to see the pattern in the braid.
But I have also been investigating different methods. I saw some really nice crochet necklaces on Etsy, and wondered if that would work for me. Above are my three first attempts. They are a mess :oD
I am just not used to crochet and getting the thread tension right while also continuously feeding pearls into the mix causes all sorts of cramping. I need more practise, but braiding with thin thread is exactly the same; little finger cramp.
Does anyone have a good tip for how to hold the thread and beads while crocheting?
I've been trying to suss it on you-tube, but I still don't have a good solution.

For neatness you can't beat the macramé, though, but it does require thicker thread/cord. The macramé always comes out looking very sturdy, which is a nice look, but if you want something more delicate a braid or crochet is ideal.