Thursday 16 February 2012

Ode to Trollbeads



 I thought I’d share a post about how I got into jewellery. It was quite a slow process. It started when I first saw a display of Trollbeadsin a New Forest shop on a very rainy day. There they were; row upon row of beautifully formed silver beads in between colourful glass and amber.

I soon found out more about them. The Danish company was the first to make the now very popular bracelets where you put together your own unique collection to match your own style and the story you want to tell. Even now when there are so many variants on the theme, Trollbeads still hold a special charm for me.



The Beauty of Trollbeads
First of all - the name. Troll means troll in Danish too, but it also means magic; a bit like the word fairy in English. And they do so much to provide a story for each bead, often based on legends and fairytale, which is just right up my alley. This is where I draw my own inspiration from, whether I draw, write or design. I just love the troll faces, the dragons, the phoenix, the Midgard serpent.
I started collecting my favourites, and put them on leather rather than the silver chains. I love precious metals mixed with leather and cord. I think it takes gold down from a lofty status symbol to a personal little treasure, glowing warmly. This started my love of odd combinations and surprising mixes.

Trollbeads have a huge loyal following as seen in the Trollbeads Universe. Here they regularly add competitions and the one that caught my interest was The People’s Beads. They were asking the fans to design their own beads. Here was a chance to make that bracelet even more unique. One of my own beads! I was hooked and entered several times. I didn’t win first place, but I did come in the first 100 and got a bracelet with the winning bead :o)


Since then I have veered more and more towards unique jewellery, made by hand. I think handmade tells better stories. Imperfections and irregularities caused by the human hand give the pieces individuality even when the designer makes 20 of the same design.

The start of Nanfan Jewellery
I haven’t looked back since. I create mostly from base metals. Yes, it is cheaper to buy materials, but brass, bronze and copper have beautiful shades that you just don’t get with silver and gold. The colour and character of the material becomes the important bit, not the value or rarity.
And the kick I got from winning the bracelet is nothing to the one I get when people buying my jewellery and wear and care for it.
Thank you Trollbeads :o)